January 11, 2017

Bread and molasses on the menu…

Every year on January 12th, the Good Shepherd Sisters commemorate the events leading to the foundation of their Congregation.

On January 11, 1850, Mrs. Roy (Marie-Josephte Fitzbach) and her first companion, Mary Keogh, made their way toward Richelieu Street in Quebec City to open a shelter for women in difficulty. The next day, the two ladies welcomed the first boarder who would be followed by many others, now over 161 years. Once again today, in most of our convents, we gather to share the traditional bread and molasses reminding us of the very frugal first meals served at St. Magdalen’s Refuge (l’Asile Ste-Madeleine).

> See archives

© Soeurs du Bon-Pasteur de Québec, tous droits réservés / all rights reserved
Updated September 17, 2018.